While we may be eager to warm up our homes this cold winter season, we must take caution and make sure we are doing it safely.
“Half of fatal residential heater fires start because something such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattresses, or bedding are too close to a home heater and ignite,” said Fire Marshal Fred Henderson, with the City of Norman.
To ensure a warm and safe holiday season, make sure you apply these measures:
- Keep things that can catch fire at least 3 feet away from your heating unit.
- Place metal screens to prevent contact burns.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms to avoid poisoning.
- Always have a qualified professional install the equipment.