When it comes to keeping warm this incoming winter, homeowners need to think big. Don’t just scramble for blankets and warm clothes to warm your body – invest in major home adjustments that are sure to improve your home’s warmth and comfort level.
- Leave all the vents – even those in unoccupied areas or rooms – open to warm the house evenly and efficiently and to prevent wasted energy.
- Install a programmable thermostat, and have a licenced technician ensure that it is in the right settings and is working properly.
- Change the furnace filters at least once every year to prevent clogging.
- Prevent warm air from leaking out of the house by sealing, weather-stripping and caulking along drafts, gaps and cracks.
- Know when it’s time to replace your unit and opt for one that offers optimal energy-efficiency